Sunday, August 17, 2008

UUATA Summer Picnic

We had a great picnic at Wheeler Farm last night. We got to walk and see all the animals and on the trails behind the farm. The dogs really enjoyed it but Marley was sure scared of the sheep. She's obviously not your average border collie! LOL. They wanted to sniff her through the fence but she would go sniff them and then back off. I should have taken more pics but I took just a few when we were sitting around on the grass!

Dylan did not get to go because there were too many dogs. They were all on leashes but for some reason therapy dog people forget that it's common courtesy to ask before letting your dog approach another one. I had to ask multiple people to keep their dogs away from Marley. I used her recent injuries as an excuse but mostly I'm just worried that dumb people will misinterpret her vocalizations as aggression. She was a bit stressed out though with all the other dogs so it was only half a lie.

Marley was a stinker and took a bit out of my hamburger while I was sitting on the ground eating it. I guess all that nasty ground beef got the best of her. Gotta admit it was a bit funny. I turned my head from that burger in my hand for one split second and she grabbed a piece as fast as she could thinking I may not notice. LOL.
We were happy that Paul and Leon were able to join us for a few before Paul had to head out for work. It was nice to spend a little bit of time with them.
I was really sad when one of the women hit her therapy dog last night. She smacked him hard enough that I heard it from 75 feet away. I couldn't believe that she did that. It is really unfortunate that someone involved with a group that's all about promoting the gentle kindness of animals feels that it's necessary to be so hurtful to her own dog. I think she was trying to get him to sit but I was far enough away that I can't be sure. Leash popping isn't even supposed to be allowed in testing so I am not sure why no one said anything about it. I guess I can't really talk because I didn't say anything either. I just stood there feeling very bad for her dog. If she does that in public, can you imagine what she does in the privacy of her own home?
Overall it was a good picnic though. I just have to block the thought of that person hitting their dog. Most the therapy animal people are really wonderful and focused on what services their animals can provide to others. I really have lots of respect for them since so many volunteer so much more time than I do!!

2 comments:

Chris said...

Wheeler Farm is a great place to walk around. Glad you all had a good time. I hate it too when people smack their pets. Stupid People.
Have a great Sunday today ! Its lookin' real nice!

R3K9S said...

You know what, I have never been there! Gotta go check it out.

Sounds like you all had a good time - Marley and the hamburger had me lol