Friday, August 1, 2008

Dog's or no dogs?

I have a rental house on my property here. I share a yard with the tenants and their dog. Their dog is the one that attacked my baby girl just two months ago.

My tenants are moving in about a month and it is quickly becoming time for me to start showing the place. I have always allowed dogs in the past but have been picky about the kinds of dog owners that I would rent to. I want someone responsible who keeps their dog inside. I also need someone who is going to be understanding of Dylan and his "issues" and make sure that they don't just let their dog bolt out the door until the dogs are all properly introduced. Dylan takes a bit of time to accept a new dog into the yard so I need someone patient enough to wait a few weeks before the dogs can openly socialize.

I've been contemplating not allowing dogs in the future. Only because of the recent situation with Marley. I would love to be the awesome animal friendly landlord but I just don't know if it's a good idea. Marley's injuries were extensive and the owner of the dog actually has shown little sympathy (let alone offer to help pay the bills). His roommate, however, has been awesome checking up on Marley and how she is doing. I never would have expected this to happen with Marley and I am fearful of allowing other dogs on the property. I know Dylan isn't the nicest boy and I would have expected him to be involved if there was ever an issue.

I'm not sure if I should allow dogs on a case by case basis? I really like dog owners who are responsible and I think they value their rentals a bit more than people without pets. They are more likely to stay long term too since it's difficult to find a rental where pets are allowed?

Since Marley got injured we have been coordinating time in the yard so that the two females don't ever get to be together. It hasn't been too difficult so maybe I will just have to make sure that the tenants I rent to have the same willingness to coordinate?

3 comments:

Melissa said...

That's a hard one. I can see you would struggle with it because you want to encourage people to have dogs but at the same time, it's your rental and you have your own dogs to worry about. Good luck with your decision.

Unknown said...

I would say in light of Marley's situation and how she reacted at the therapy event around other dogs, if it was me, I would hold off allowing other dogs for now. You can always allow a dog later after you get to know your tenants and how responsible they are.

Unknown said...

Possibly case by case situation? You don't want to not let somebody rent because they have a dog ?? I dunno ... that's a hard one!