Friday, August 15, 2008

Happy Birthday Dylan!!!


It's Dylan's made up Birthday today! He was 10 weeks old when I got him but the rescue group didn't know his date of birth so I made one up 10 weeks from the day I adopted him.

I had no idea what I was getting myself into when I brought this little bundle of trouble home. He was literally an early Christmas gift from a friend of mine at the time. He was the cutest little puppy I had ever seen. I remember sitting down on the floor next to his kennel while I waited for the rescue group to finish unloading dogs and find a leash so that I could get him out to visit.

I had wanted to adopt a pug but was torn on the idea of a bigger dog because I wanted a dog that could camp with me. I dragged a couple of my friends an hour away at 8 AM the day after a late night Halloween party to go look at the only pug that had been listed on Petfinder in weeks. We got there 5 minutes too late!

On the way home we decided to stop at another adoption event where I ended up finding the dog that would soon become the single biggest impact on my life to date. From that day forward, life was different!
I've learned so much in the past 5 years. I can't believe my baby boy is 5!! He's taught me so much about life and love and all things dog! He's been a challenge but I never questioned whether or not I made the right choice in adopting him. He was meant to be my boy and I wouldn't have it any other way.
Sometimes I don't give this little boy enough credit. He's got his quirks but he is a very good dog! Lately, he has been exceptionally good with his recall off leash and I thank him so much for it. It makes life easier for me and more fun for him because I feel more comfortable letting him off leash in more areas.

Happy Birthday Baby Boy! We'll be celebrating his day tonight and Marley's Gotcha day. Paul took him out walking this morning and I will make sure he gets some Frisbee time this evening since it's his absolute favorite!!

I got him a special present but I haven't received it yet. He's hated his gentle leader for over 2 years now. I finally invested in a comfort head collar. I hope it will be a bit more comfortable for him! I borrowed one a while back and it seems so much softer and he's able to have enough space to open his mouth and pick up a ball so we can play when he is wearing it!!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday to Dylan! What a sweet tribute to him! That almost made me cry reading your post.

R3K9S said...

Happy Birthday Dylan! You sweet sweet boy! We must get together soon because I miss seeing you and your sister! I need my Dylan Marley fix!


Lots of hugs
Ann

JZM say wahoo! Happy Birthday Dylan!

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday Dylan!!!!!

Happy Healthy Pup said...

Dylan, Dyl Pickle, Dylers -

We love your stinkin' cute face and are so happy your mommy has you!1 Happy Birthday Big Boy!!