Saturday, September 13, 2008

Super Pet Adoption Weekend!

I really have mixed feelings about the super pet adoption. It's a busy weekend for me and I feel good knowing that at least some of the dogs being adopted are going to good homes that are feeding high quality food. I know this because I sold it to them!

I understand that all breed rescues have a very difficult job. I've been involved with rescue a few years now and there are so many mixed breed dogs and there will never be enough good homes for them. My concern is that people seem to think that because a dog is a mixed breed dog, they need to require lower standards in order to get them placed. No one disagrees with the home visits and careful screening that pure breed groups do. They just don't seem to think that it's necessary that mixed breeds deserve the same. They say there aren't enough resources to do the things all breed groups do?

I know there are those that really try to do everything they can to make sure the dogs are getting wonderful homes. They are selective and turn people down that they don't think really make a good fit. I know several people out there and I believe I am one of them so I know they exist. Unfortunately, too many are too quick to try to get one dog adopted that they don't stop to think whether the dog is going to be really in a wonderful home for the rest of it's life. It's almost as if they feel that if the dog sleeps indoors and has a fenced yard that's all that's needed to make a good home. No concerns for whether the dog will get training or proper nutrition or love and attention. No concerns about whether or not the people really know what they are getting into when they adopt a dog.

I know these events are wonderful especially for rural shelters and rescues. It's a great place to get your fosters some exposure and it's great for potential adopters to see a wide selection of dogs in one place. If I were looking to adopt, I would love to be able to go to a super adoption to look! A wider range of dogs might mean I'm more likely to find the right dog for me. I just seem to think it creates a scene of chaos. People are rushed to do adoptions so they can help the next person, and the dogs are stressed, and you can't really meet them in an environment they normally live in. You don't know if someone adopting is being impulsive because they don't really have time to think things through before taking the new dog home.

Anyway, I am sure there will be more than 300 dogs adopted from 501(c)3 nonprofit groups and shelters. I can only hope that they either end up in wonderful homes or they get returned right away to the rescue group. I hope none of these dogs end up tied up to a tree somewhere in someone's backyard and that they all go home to warm snuggly families who will take good care of them for the rest of their lives!

2 comments:

Jan said...

It's been my experience that people who adopt from rescues or shelters are better owners than the ones who buy impulsively from pet shops. There is no way of knowing who will be a good owner, but I have had great experiences with the people who adopt from the places where I have worked as a volunteer.

Chris said...

We have been to these super adoptions and I can easily see myself as an impusle buyer, sorta speak! However, the rational side of me knows that no matter how much we want a doggies, we just dont have room for one. We already have a Cat, Turtle, 2 goldfish and my son now wants Gerbils! sheesh.
Hope all went well at the Adoptions tho. XO