Thursday, September 4, 2008

Scary Tire Blow Out!


I was driving home on the freeway yesterday afternoon. Going about 65-70 and all of a sudden my car started making noises like I had run something over. I look out the side mirror and see rubber flying everywhere and realize I must have blown a tire.


I really thought I was driving on the rim and I had to get through an exit only lane to get to the side of the road. No one would let me in. I had to let 3-4 cars go past me before a cop let me in. He had seen what happened and stopped to make sure everything was okay.

When I got out I couldn't tell right away which tire was having an issue. I walked around the car and then realized my driver side rear tire still had air but it had no tread! What little tread was left was hanging off. It had been flying around and banging up my car that whole time I was trying to pull over.

Roadside service took over an hour but when they came they changed my tire pretty fast and I was out of there. I'm lucky to have Paul who went and rescued Dylan and Marley from being locked up in the house all day and night.

Now my bumper is hanging off and I am missing one of the side lights. Plus the metal frame for the bumper is bent and rubbing on the tire when I go around corners. I hope it's not going to cost much to repair!!

I needed a new tire anyway but it was a front tire that needed replaced. This tire was in decent shape until it fell apart on the freeway! My parents just bought 4 new tires for my Mom's car and then her transmission went out. They are donating the car and offered me the tires before they donate it. I was going to actually put them on my car but hadn't got it done yet. Looks like now is the time to make sure it gets done! I'm just glad I am getting new tires and all I have to pay is for installation. My mom is probably glad she got a new car even though they aren't happy about having to pay for it!

3 comments:

R3K9S said...

I am so glad you weren't hurt!

Unknown said...

Oh that's scary - sorry you had to go through that! Justin had a flat coming down Parley's in my Honda the other day. It's frustrating for sure!

Unknown said...

oh my.. that is scary! I hate having car problems. Its so frustrating and upsetting. Hope it doesn't cost too much to fix, but I think it's going to. :(