Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Marley is the best medicine!

Marley is the best medicine!
We went on our scheduled therapy visit last night. Sometimes I forget how much impact a visit from a dog can have on people.
Last night we visited the same Alzheimer's patients. Many of these are the same patients we have visited for a year. I've been frustrated thinking our recreation therapist didn't really understand our purpose there. Last night, however, was different.
We had been making our usual rounds when we found a few people in the dining room. We went in and Marley and I went from one person to the next to say hello while she let people love on her. Marley likes to perform her tricks for people and the rec therapist kept telling everyone that Marley would do some tricks. She set the people's chairs up in a small circle around Marley and I. Marley did some sit ups, high 5's, and spins, and twirls, and all that. When I asked her to roll over, she did her very distinctive plop down and roll over! One woman started laughing and laughing. It was if she thought it was the funniest thing she had ever seen.
We've seen this woman before and she never speaks. She does always want to pet and visit with Marley and she's always with her roommate who appears to be her best friend. Last night, she separated herself. We visited and she made enough words for me to understand her questions about Marley. She laughed and smiled and grinned when Marley did tricks for her. She loved on her and Marley was a princess and loved every moment. Our rec therapist was amazed that this woman was laughing. In all the time she had been there, she had never heard her laugh. So we stayed and visited as long as Marley seemed comfortable. When it got time for us to leave, the woman commented that Marley seemed tired. In truth, Marley was fine, but it was a good time to leave.
Our rec therapist now wants to make a special effort to visit this particular patient. I think she now has a better understanding of the impact Marley can have on people. If my girl can provide a source of laughter, Marley really is the best medicine. We'll have a camera with us next visit so the rec therapist can take some pictures to put in People's rooms. I'm not allowed to take pictures of my baby girl when she's working but the facility sees some value in taking some pictures to put up in people's rooms to remind them of the dog that comes there to visit.
Marley is my very special girl. She has a way to know who is going to benefit from her love and affection. She's always happy to do some tricks and her Roll Over is the funniest thing I have ever seen! It takes a special dog to be a good therapy dog and Marley has proven herself to be wonderful at her job. She may never be the athlete and character the Dylan is. He tends to get a lot of attention when we are out and about. He's a strikingly handsome boy with a lot of personality. Sometimes I think he overshadows my little girl most of the time. Marley, however, proves time and time again that she's a wonderful little girl who has the ability to impact people in a very special way. Marley really is the best medicine!

9 comments:

R3K9S said...

Your post made me cry! Marley is truly special......
I pray that when I am old, a dog like Marley will come and brighten my day.

myspoileddogs said...

She is a special girl!!! I wish someone will visit me with a special dog when I am old too.

Unknown said...

Wow - Marley really is a special dog. I can't even comprehend what she is doing for those people. You are pretty special too for allowing her to do that & helping her.

Jan said...

A beautiful story and a beautiful dog. I hope I never have to have a day without a dog in it, but if that ever happens, I hope someone brings a dog into my life when they can. Thanks for what you both do for people.

Anonymous said...

Oh my, that is so wonderful and brings tears to my eyes. I think if I did the therapy dog stuff like that, I'd always leave crying.

Yay for Marley! She is awesome!

Anonymous said...

Hi Marely and Dylan! Great to meet you! Our human grandma had Alzheimers and we used to go visit her and her friends too! Have a tail waggin' day!

Moshi and Kibo

myspoileddogs said...

moshi and kibo - thanks for stopping by! It's good you got to visit your grandma! It really helps people when you do that!

Unknown said...

How sweet your dog is. You are both helping people. Such a lovely post!

Anonymous said...

Oh, you've got me all teary-eyed reading this post. You and Marley are really doing something great!