Saturday, September 13, 2008

My Puppy fix!


I can't get a puppy. I know well enough that I can't afford one! So sometimes I have to borrow a pup to give me a puppy fix! Sometimes it's an adult and sometimes it's a puppy!

In reality, I actually bring home dogs from my rescue group during the super adoption. The out of town dogs have to stay crated over night and it breaks my heart. So I try to bring one home so at least that's one less dog that has to stay in a crate all night long out at the super adoption.

Today I brought home this girl. She's a 6 month old pup whose name I don't know. It doesn't matter though, I doubt she knows her name either. I love, love, love border collies so when the rescue told me about her I immediately offered to bring her over night. She's a maniac and wouldn't hold still for a picture. That's to be expected though with a 6 month old border pup that hasn't had any training.
I played a bit of chase games with her. Well I let her chase me! I also got out a clicker and some treats and just played a few training games with her. I had her targeting and she's very responsive if I just make little click noises to get her attention. She's definitely a fun girl and would probably be good to work with since she focuses so easy and is quick to respond when I want her attention. It's good that she's already been adopted! I think I'd be in love!
She just can't go to her new home until she has been spayed. The foster said she had a lot of people interested in her so I really hope that she chose wisely. This is an active girl that is going to need lots of exercise and mental stimulation to keep her from becoming a total terror. I didn't meet the adopters but if I do tomorrow I will take time to see if they have any idea what they are getting into. B0rder collies are not dogs for just anyone! They really need a certain kind of home (well Marley is the exception to that rule - she'd be happy just about anywhere but I am glad she ended up with me!!)
I gave her a raw bone to chew on for a bit. She's being a good quiet girl in the x pen for now. Dylan's a bit upset but I baby gated him into the bedroom and gave him a raw bone too. So he'll be busy for a while and maybe forget that there's another dog in the house for the night!

No comments: