Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Zip


Zip was my last foster dog. I loved him so much that I wanted to adopt him. I knew, however, that I wasn't prepared to take on a third dog financially. My two tend to be so dang expensive and taking on another just wasn't a possibility.

I got Zip because I happened to be at the shelter picking up a cat just at the right time. Someone from the shelter asked if I knew anyone who was willing to take a border collie. He had been returned to the shelter because he was chewing destructively in the previous owners yard. It was obvious he had been left out all winter by his THICK winter coat. He needed some dental work because in the process of all that chewing he had broken several teeth. He was to be euthanized the following morning because they didn't have the space to try to place him a second time.

When I got him home, I fell in love instantly. He was exactly the kind of dog I would adopt if I were going to adopt a new dog! He was sharp and has a high working drive and an amazing toy drive! Easy to work with and easy to train but fast and motivated and dang adorable. Plus he fit well into my household of dogs who LOVE attention. His silly personality was just the right fit!

We did lots of obedience to help him learn how to behave like a good boy and even got started on some Flyball. I got to watch him go herding (and it made me cry seeing him do something so well without any training). They said he had a pretty decent herding drive and would be good in a home that wanted to do a bit of herding along with other sports. He got to go lure coursing on the Course a'Lure and got the second fastest time for the weekend (he even beat Dylan).

Ultimately, I knew I would have to give this dog up. At some point I realized it needed to be sooner rather than later because the longer time went by the more attached I got. I started posting additional ads online and on Border Collie/Sporting Dog sites. Eventually, a wonderful clicker trainer that was working at Best Friends Animal Sanctuary found an ad I had posted and contacted me. I knew with the first contact that she would make a wonderful home for my boy. She was so far away though and I couldn't do a home check like I normally do. However, she offered up photos, and references, and more references. I knew without even calling that it was meant to be!

We met up halfway between SLC and Kanab last fall. At a little grassy spot in the middle of no where Utah. I had to let her take my dear Zip away but I knew it was what was best for him. Initially, she took him on a trial basis. I really didn't ever plan on getting him back though because she seemed to be exactly what he needed. Her situation was better for him than my own was and I needed him to go somewhere where he had a better situation than I could provide.

It wasn't long before she contacted me to say she wanted to keep him forever and ever. Not only that but she wanted to take him all the way to Seattle, Washington to live. I knew he would be happy there with all the water! After all, swimming was his favorite past time!! He'd have a great guardian and a cute little border collie sister!

Nine months later, he is loving his new home. He gets to play Flyball and got to the park where he can swim all time. I can't wait to see him race at Flyball! I really want to travel to go see him run and take Dylan to race at the same place. One day when Zip is ready I will make it happen!
I'm so happy to know that Zip found such a wonderful home! It's comforting to know the dog I loved so much is being loved by someone so wonderful!!



2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am glad he got a good home too! Thanks for the update on him ...

Anonymous said...

hes beautiful, must have been hard to let him go