Thursday, May 29, 2008

Marley update.

Little Miss is doing better. She's awake and the hospital says she is standing up and will be happy when she gets to eat later tonight.

They did find 4 puncture wounds that went all the way through to her abdominal cavity. They are very glad they made the decision to go in and look around. They likely would not have healed well without surgery and could have been very dangerous. There was no organ damage and they were pleased that the intestines did not poke through any of the holes. They also did some cleaning of her little pipes since she hasn't had a bowel movement for over 24 hours now. They think it's just nerves though since it wasn't impacted. Hopefully that will ease some of her discomfort.

Now we just can't wait for Miss Marley to come home. Dylan's looking bored and I hate leaving him home all alone. Luckily we have Paul; who is so wonderful and took him out to play and walk today. He also took him home and let him hang out over there until I got off work.

This other dog wasn't a vicious dog. I reread that previous post and I think it gives a bit of a misperception. It's actually a friend's dog but the adrenaline was running too high and in the process of trying to break it up, I picked Marley up to remove her from the situation. Something in our dear canine friend just snapped. She is injured too from Marley defending herself and we are worried about her well-being. Marley's never bitten a dog in the past and I know she had to be hurting to have actually broken the skin of another dog. I've been in close contact with her guardians and it sounds like she may be going in just to get checked tomorrow. We just want everyone to be safe from infection and heal well.

Dylan was there too and we are all very, very, very thankful he did not get involved. He's my good boy who I am often surprised by. Sometimes I sell him a bit short and it's good to remember that he's not as bad and I sometimes portray him to be. He just can be a bit of a stinker sometimes and I need to be more consistent with him. I really am glad to see that he walked away without any involvement.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank goodness Marley came out of surgery ok. I bet you were an absolute wreck. I'm so pleased there's no organ damage and the wounds to her intestinal wall was revised. Hopefully she will be home tomorrow and all will be right with the world for dylan...

Anonymous said...

shit happens. I hope both dogs recover without grudges. And im sorry you had to go through that. theres nothing worse than seeing your animal hurt.

Anonymous said...

I am so happy they were able to repair the damage.
Paws crossed for a speedy recovery.

Ann Jake Zoe and Miss Maddie

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear that she's OK. I hope your friends dog is OK too. It's scary that something like that can happen between two dogs who are friends. I am always afraid of that!

Unknown said...

I am glad to hear everything is going to be okay. So sorry you have had to go through all this! It sounds like Marley is on her way to a good recovery! I am glad they took such good care of her.