Friday, May 2, 2008

Vetrinarians cost way too much!!

I always envy those people who go to the vet once a year (or sometimes even less than that!) and have a check up and get some heartworm meds and then call it good for vet care for the year. I am not sure how that happens exactly? I realize the more animals you have the more likely you are to end up at the vet's office but I only have two little pups?

I really feel like I end up at the vet's office at least once per month. If not for supplements for Marley's back then for chiropractic or accupuncture treatments or for one of Dylan's many injuries. I never go more than a few weeks without seeing someone from some vet's office somewhere.

Marley's back and hip problems have become very expensive over the past year. It's well worth it if it keeps her feeling well and moving well. She's too young to live her life on pain medications. So instead, we go the all natural route. She sees a holsitic vet and takes a variety of dietary supplements and herbs to help manage the inflammation in her discs and keep her joints lubricated.

Dylan is a healthy boy. He really shouldn't need to go to the vet more than once a year for a checkup. However, he is also a crazy dog with lots of enthusiasm and athleticism. He manages to injure himself every couple of months doing any number of things. Currently, he is laid up because his pads are completely worn out. It's been two weeks and he's still limping in pain (although the limping has been much better). His injuries not only cost me lots of money but cause him to be miserable because he isn't able to get proper exercise. Plus he has to miss Flyball and Obedience classes.

I wonder if it's possible that I will ever go a year where I take even one of them to the vet just the one time? It amazes me that some people manage to go years? I don't like that plan but man would it be nice to just have a yearly check up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WE HAVE A GREATDANE WHO BROKE HIS LEG AND THEY WANT 1200.00 DOLLARS TO 2000.00 CASH BEFORE THEY WILL HELP HIM HE IS ONE YEAR OLD OUR OTHER OPTION IS TO HAVE HIM PUT DOWN WHAT KIND OF OPTION IS THAT UNTIL THEN WE WATCH HIM SUFFER???IT USED TO BE ABOUT THE PETS NOW ITS ABOUT MONEY I HOPE I DONT BREAK MY LEG AND CANT AFFOURD TO PAY