Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Using Iodine to toughen pads?

Dylan is constantly wearing out his pads. I talked to my holistic vet who recommended painting iodine on the pads then patting it right off a couple times a week to toughen his pads. I'm really happy to know that something so simple should work.

She also said that part of the reason he has big problems with his pads is because of the length of his dang nails? His quicks are SO long and I can't cut them very short. I've been trying to dremel train him but haven't worked consistently with it for the last few months. We need to get back on it and work on it every day so that I can start dremeling his nails down.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have the same problem with Zeppelin. His nails are starting to look like bear claws. He was a champ with the dremel till I cleaned out his ears one day and he decided he hated me messing with him from then on, now its a struggle.

Anonymous said...

I've been dremel training my dogs.... they have been pretty good. A friend tried putting squeeze cheeze on the opposite paw so she could work on the other!

R3K9S said...

I sure wish I could learn to use the dremel. But I am so scared!
We go to our vet every 4-6 weeks and all three get the dremel. But it is becoming a PITA.
Maybe I just need to try it and get over my fear!