Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Jumping off the walls....

All these flyball people have been teaching their dogs to do a swimmers turn off the wall. It's supposed to help with form and speed.

Dylan already has excellent form. He is slow, however, coming off the box. I think part of that is because he is waiting for the ball but I think our team may be vamping up the box with new, faster plungers or whatever they are called.

Last night I tried the swimmers turn on the wall with Dylan. Thus far he is getting two paws up really easily. I think it would be easier with him if I had more space though. I really need to find a better place to work with him but my house is so small there isn't a good space with a soft landing.

I want to work on the ball to tug switch off. I am sure I can teach him if I work hard enough but often times it's difficult for me to find the time to do it. Every time I think about it, he is either injured or I am just too damn busy!!


Here is a pic of Marley turning on the box. I don't have any of Dylan! That's my old flyball team's logo (we are proud members of Thunder Paws now!) but it's a good example of the swimmer's turn! In a tournament they can't use any props like you see in the pic but both my dogs have been trained with and without the training props so their box turn is always nice at tournaments.

No comments: