Thursday, May 22, 2008

The ashes....

I never really had given a whole lot of thought of what to do with my animals when they pass on. Cremation was a given but I am not sure how I feel about what to do with the ashes. Maybe it's best to spread them or maybe I want them buried with me. Dylan and Marley and I are so close that I love the idea of having them buried with me. However, I still have a long life ahead that is sure to have many animals in it. How many animals could you really be buried with? And when you share animals with a loved one (as I did in Puck's case) how do you decide who can be buried with whom. In this situation, Paul had legally adopted Puck so if he made the decision to be buried with him it would be totally appropriate but if you are married and the animal belongs to the family, how do you decide.

We've discussed what to do with the ashes of our dear Monster. I am not sure what we will decide on but I am certainly thinking a lot about it. I like Paul's idea of spreading them in the yard at his house. But then what do you do with the cedar box that they came in? Only time will tell exactly what will happen.

Anyone else have any ideas?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Could you split the ashes and bury half with you and half with your hubby?

When my saints die I want them to be buried with me. I have bought barrels for them to wear and when they have passed on I want their ashes put in the barrels until I pass and can be buried with them. I have left explicit instructions with my husband. I will continue to have saints for the rest of my life and will do the same with each of them as well.

Good luck with this difficult decision.

myspoileddogs said...

Thanks! We aren't married but we will have to talk about it!! Thanks for the input!