Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Taking a break from AAT.

We haven't been to our regularly scheduled Animal Assisted Therapy visit for over a month now. I missed the last visit because it was the day after Puck died. We were scheduled to go again today but Marley is not in any condition to be working right now. I finally got in touch with the Activities director at the place that we visit. We are planning on taking at least the next month off.

Marley needs to have ample time to heal. I also want to make sure she wasn't so traumatized by this whole thing that she will react so negatively towards other dogs if we meet them there. She went to flyball practice with me on Sunday and seemed a bit grumpy. I never really want her to interact with other dogs when on the job but it seems we always run into them. I may have to make it more clear that I need to know if other dogs are in the building before we go in to visit.

Marley is generally pretty vocal when she first meets new dogs. I figure it's her way of telling them that she has pain in her back and hips and so she's not able to roughhouse with them. Other than that, she does really well with other dogs. I really hope that will still be the case after she heals from all this!!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

I hope she feels better mentally and physically soon. I don't know how you deal with sick dogs. It seems like it would be hard to keep them still so they can heal.

myspoileddogs said...

Ahh yeah it's hard to keep them from running around like they are used to doing!!