Tuesday, June 24, 2008

I spend my life at the vet!

Marley went in for a visit with our holistic vet today. Her body has been really out of alignment since even before the dog fight.

We went over her x rays and the vet says she has some arthritis developing on one of the vertebrae that already causes her problems. She's gonna have problems for life but we are doing everything we can to prevent further issues and manage the issues she already has.

She had some major chiropractic adjustments. Her neck was all out of alignment. Her hips were out of place. She also has a pulled muscle in her leg. The vet says it's probably from being spread out and tied down on an operating table. Tied down under anesthetic, she wasn't able to let the vet techs know that she was being pulled too far. That's already her bad leg with a bad hip on that right side. Now with a strained muscle, she is standing with her leg out turned. A bit of massage and mild stretching should hopefully help over the next several weeks.

She's got some scar tissue building up. This could be problematic if we don't take care of it early. I am going to start massaging the area daily and then in a few weeks we will do some acupuncture in the area and vitamin b12 injections.

She got some acupuncture today and I am starting her on some homeopathic's to help her abdomen healing. Arnica and Silicea should hopefully be helpful in this healing process.

I didn't realize she needed to stay on probiotics for so long after the antibiotics. I guess we will be doing that for another month or so. She also wants her to have some limited activity for another 10 days. We just want to prevent potential issues in her abdomen where she has had so much trauma in that area the last month.

I also got some aconitum for Dylan. It's supposed to help calm him during this horrible firework season. I am not sure why everyone insists on lighting of shooting flames in a desert in the middle of summer. Dylan doesn't think it's the best idea either. It's an extremely scary month for Dylan in July but hopeful the aconitum will be helpful.

6 comments:

R3K9S said...

I am so glad you were able to get her in.
Her treatments will help so much.

I had no idea about probiotic need after antibiotics! Learn something new all the time.

Maybe I need to get aconitum for Jake. Lord knows he has issues with the fireworks....

Hugs to Dyl and Marley!

myspoileddogs said...

ahh you should call and try to get some for jakey boy!

Cynthia Blue said...

Ugh! What would we do without our doggie chiropractor? :) I love her too. Wish I could go more often, wish she would adjust me!

I'm glad Miss Marley is doing better, and much straighter now too!

myspoileddogs said...

Yeah Cyn! Not sure what I would do without her. Wish Marley could go more often but man does it get expensive!!

Unknown said...

Sounds like you have things under control and have developed a good game plan for the remainder of her recovery. I just want to commend you for getting her as far as she has come so quickly. With out your vigil and care she would not have rebounded so well.

Keep up the good work.

myspoileddogs said...

Thanks Saint Lover!! She's my baby girl and I have to do whatever is best for her!! I don't know what I would do if she weren't here with me day in and day out. I've got to take good care of her to make sure she lives as long and as comfortably as possible.