Friday, June 13, 2008

My clumsiness is humorous!!

I have to laugh at myself sometimes. I can be quite clumsy at times but at least I don't generally get injured.

Yesterday we went up the canyon to go for a hike with the dogs. There's a stream that runs right near where we parked and the water level is high enough in some spots the dogs can swim. I wanted to let Dylan get some swimming in before we headed up the trail. He's not the strongest swimmer but doing better and better every year. I figured since Marley was not there it was okay to use my expensive Frisbee. When the two are together they don't retrieve very well but Dylan will ALWAYS get his Frisbee when he is playing one on one.

I threw the Frisbee and on the first throw it got sucked into a corner on the other side of the stream. Dylan made a few attempts to get to it but the water was too deep and he was working against the current.

I walked down and crossed the bridge while Paul kept an eye on the Frisbee so it didn't get lost. I took Dylan hoping he would get it from the opposite side of the stream. He wouldn't retrieve it so I went in ankle deep to get the Frisbee. I had to walk down the bank less than 10 feet to get to it. In the process of trying not to get stuck in the mud, I took one step and all of the sudden was in the water up to my chest. The edge where I had been walking just dropped off about 4 feet!!

It was COLD and definitely took me by surprise. My first reaction was to get OUT! Paul reminded me to grab the Frisbee and my treat bag that had come off when I fell. I retrieved my stuff and made my way across the stream to where he was!! I'm glad I took my camel back off before I tried to walk up the bank!!

Unfortunately, I was wearing jeans. They weren't gonna dry very soon and with the weight of the water, they were nearly falling off!! Poor Dylan and Leon had to get loaded right back up and make the 45 minute drive back home instead of going on a nice afternoon hike!! They didn't understand what happened I am sure!!

Now that I can laugh about the incident, I wish I had thought to have Paul take some pictures of me in my soaking wet clothes!! It would have been funny!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That's pretty funny - it would be scary at the time though?? I am glad you didn't get hurt :)

Unknown said...

Oh no... :insert giggly on the floor laughs: that's something that would happen to me. I have fallen in mud, water and snow so many times that I learned to carry extra clothes in the car. That way I wont be the party pooper.

Hope you dont catch a cold after being in that cold water.

Cynthia Blue said...

Yikes! LOL I would have loved to see pics. :) Cold jeans really suck.