Sunday, July 20, 2008

Messy House

I swear there is enough dog hair in this house to make up a third and a fourth dog. I am not sure where it call comes from but I think it has to do with a cute little dog named Dylan and a little girl named Marley. Together their hair seems to turn everything gray.

My house is messy. I blame it on the fact that it's only 400 sq ft. Really I think it's about 450 but I don't count the closet or the bathroom or the laundry room because they feel so small. There's no room to put anything and so things get cluttered really fast. Well, I'm a cluttery person anyway and I hate to clean and I'm lazy. I'd rather be out doing something for someone else than home cleaning my own house. I'm not sure why. I'd rather come clean your house than clean my own.

This is 100% intensified by such a small space with so much stuff. I'm not sure how I ever fit three big dogs in here and 3 cats. At some point I actually had that many fosters.

I'm sick of it though. My allergies to dogs are not helped by the fact that I have dog hair everywhere. I want to throw everything away but my trash can is full of rose bushes and tree trimming since I have been working in the yard all day. I don't even have space to throw things away.

I always envy people who have nice big houses with fancy counter tops and cute and simple decorations. I want to live there instead of here. I need to figure out a way to make this tiny space a place I want to be. It's my house and I don't have a choice but to live here. It would be REALLY nice to move into the big rental house on this lot but I can't afford it. I need the rental income to help me survive.

I just moved my bed out because I could see the collection of dog hair behind it. Maybe I should have thought twice about getting dogs that shed and adopted poodles or something that sheds a lot less. Or maybe I just need to take my dogs out and brush them a little more often?

Regardless, I sometimes wish I wasn't a homeowner. Doing yard work is not my area of expertise and it's nice when you have a landlord that does it for you. Plus, I could rent a bigger space. I really miss my 650 sq ft duplex in sugarhouse. It was cheap and nice with hardwood floors so I wasn't living with animal dander in the carpet. My landlord took care of the yard and I had a dishwasher and a decent bathroom and indoor laundry. Plus there was no responsibility of finding and keeping tenants and although I shared a yard, I wasn't responsible for anything relating to my neighbors. It was painted cute colors and I had room for my stuff. My T.V. was more than 2 ft away from the couch and I had a hammock in the yard that I could lay in while my dogs lounged in the sun. I didn't feel like I lived in the ghetto of a neighborhood and my neighbors spoke English and were friendly. I wasn't responsible for calling roto rooter or repainting someone else's house. I was messy there too but it was spread out more so it didn't feel so aweful. There were no concerns of putting a new roof or siding on the laundry room. No need to worry about how to make the yard look presentable and keeping grass alive without using chemicals and spending a fortune on water and sprinkling systems.

I'm not sure why home ownership feels like such a downgrade. All I know is that it's more expensive, smaller, less convenient, not cute, and a lot more stress. It's definitely not all it's cracked up to be. I guess maybe it will be worth it when I can finally sell this hell hole and get some money from the equity. I'm not sure the market will allow for me to sell for quite a while to come though.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Home ownership isn't all its cracked up to be!

Melissa said...

Sounds like a good vacuum job would cheer you up. Wish I could be there to do it for you.

R3K9S said...

I can't tell you the last time I did housework!
It might be tough now, but remember you have to put up with the rain to get the rainbow! - "I guess maybe it will be worth it when I can finally sell this hell hole and get some money from the equity."
yea yea I know it sounds corny - but it is true!

Unknown said...

I agree - it's hard work. When I rented out my house it took months to clean it all up. I am so like you in that way for sure. So many better things to do than clean or work on the house!