Wednesday, April 30, 2008

RIP Dear Shadow

My dear friend notified me that she will be taking her aging border collie to be put down today. Shadow is a 14 year old border collie. I have walked her a few times recently to help my friend out when she had to be away for long hours. She really seems like a sweet old dog. I hear she was a feisty border collie when she was young but I never knew her then.

It always breaks my heart when my friends lose their dogs. I think about what it would be like to lose my own and don't know how I would handle it. I'm not the best at talking to people when they are going through this and I always want to help. I know it's part of the life cycle but when I think about Dylan and Marley aging and dying I just can't help but get choked up. So I know my friend must be feeling so much pain and I wish there was something I could do to help her feel better. My heart aches knowing that the feelings she must be having are very difficult to go through.

I know that Shadow has not been feeling as well and I know that her passing will ease any pain she has been feeling. I'm not sure I believe in heaven but I do like to think that once dogs pass on they regain a healthy body and can run and play again like happy, healthy pups. I'm not sure why I don't get this image in my head when people pass away but with dogs I always imagine them running in green pastures and chasing balls and butterflies. I can picture Shadow as a young dog doing these things. I know she will be happy being able to run and play like she did when she was young.

No comments: