Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Are they tennis balls? Or Walnuts?


I have a huge walnut tree in my backyard. It makes for a decent shade tree but it also is a huge pain when it comes time to clean the yard of leaves and walnuts. It
drips sticky stuff all summer and so anything in the yard tends to be sticky. It drops literally thousands of walnuts in the fall. Luckily it only produces nuts every other year.
I tried to clean some of the walnuts up this evening. They were falling even as I as picking them up! It seems impossible to pick up all the crappy walnuts. I was worried that they were going to hit me in the head and knock me out!
Marley, however, keeps me quite entertained. She seems to believe that whenever a walnut falls - it may be a tennis ball. As soon as she hears one fall - she runs over and pounces on it. She seems disappointed to find out that it's simply another walnut. There's already a thousand on the grass (well maybe 500 now that I did some work out there). It must really be disappointing to her that it's not actually raining tennis balls. Dylan is of course, just scared of the walnuts when they fall. He really is afraid of anything that moves!
When I first bought this house, there were 5000 walnuts. It looked like they hadn't been cleaned up in years. Now that I am through my first 2 years of owning this place, I realize that the walnut tree is just so big that it drops 5000 walnuts in the fall. I have the joy of getting down on my hands and knees to try to clean them up. They get buried in the lawn so I have to literally pat it down to make sure they are all picked up. Of course, there are already more falling so I am not sure what good all this work does. I'll have to do it again next week and the week after that. Oh and I only got about a 1/4 of the yard done anyway. I hope that 1/4 stays somewhat clean so we can do some box work out there tomorrow. We are expecting some of our friends from Tip Tail to come and do some training tomorrow evening!
Sometimes I miss being a renter. I never realized how much work it was to own a house. Now I own two and man do I hate doing yardwork. Maybe next year I will be able to afford to hire someone to do it. That's probably wishful thinking though!

8 comments:

SewCrazyDogLady said...

oh my goodness! And you can't eat any of them? Sounds like such a bounty.. seems a shame.. but I can't imagine trying to clean them all up!

Anonymous said...

I can sympathize with your struggle. We used to care take a property that had a crabapple tree right smack in the middle of the front lawn. The darn thing used to drop what seemed like millions of those silly things in the fall. They were aweful to try to rake because they were just small enough to slip through the rake. Ughh!!!

myspoileddogs said...

I have no idea if they are edible or not. They are black walnuts?

Unknown said...

Yard work is horrible. Thank goodness Justin does it now. One day I should help him??

R3K9S said...

Marley cracks me up - tennis balls from the sky! Jake would be in heaven!

Anonymous said...

My dog would go crazy if we had a walnut tree! I don't think he would care whether they are tennis balls or not. They still look like them, so that would be good enough for him.

Melissa said...

Isn't the nice thing about Utah is that it snows to cover up such things? J/K I'm sure it has to be done sometime before or after the snow. That sounds annoying.

Unknown said...

We had several of these trees at our old house and they sure do make a mess. I never could keep up with their "droppings" so I certainly feel for you.